Do you have a cavity that needs a filling? You don’t have to worry about your tooth looking different after we put the filling on. We use a tooth-colored composite resin material that will match the exact color of your tooth. It’s also strong and durable to last for many years.
What are Tooth-Colored Fillings?
Fillings are often associated with dark, metal materials like gold or silver. However, we use a composite tooth-colored resin at our dental office in Naperville. Tooth-colored means that your filling will be virtually invisible and will blend in with the rest of your smile.
The material is also strong and durable, so you don’t have to worry about breaking or coming loose.
Benefits of Tooth-Colored Fillings
There are many benefits to choosing tooth-colored fillings over metal fillings, including:
- Aesthetics: Tooth-colored fillings don’t stand out. On the other hand, metal fillings are very noticeable and can make your teeth look dark or discolored.
- Function: Tooth-colored fillings are just as strong and durable as metal fillings. And they can be better for your tooth. Metal is inflexible, but composite resin fillings expand and contract naturally with your tooth. Expansion means less internal pressure on your tooth and less external pressure when biting down on something. They can also last for many years with proper care.
- Safety: Metal fillings contain mercury, which has been linked to health problems. Tooth-colored fillings are made of safe, non-toxic materials.
Can You Whiten Tooth-Colored Fillings?
Yes, you can whiten tooth-colored fillings. However, it’s important to note that the composite resin material is not as porous as your natural teeth. This means that it may not respond as well to teeth whitening treatments.
If you’re interested in whitening your smile, we recommend talking to our team about other options, such as veneers or teeth whitening.
Caring for Tooth-Colored Fillings
You can care for your tooth-colored fillings just like your natural teeth. Be sure to brush twice a day, floss daily, and visit our office for regular checkups and cleanings.
What Other Dental Uses Are There for Composite Resin?
In addition to being used for fillings, we can use the composite resin for:
- Bonding: We can use composite resin to improve the shape or color of your teeth. We can also use it to close gaps between teeth.
- Crowns: We can use composite resin crowns to restore damaged or decayed teeth.
- Inlays and Onlays: We can use these to replace large areas of tooth decay. They are sometimes made of composite resin, and we fit them to the specific shape of your tooth.
How to Get a Tooth-Colored Filling
There are a few options available for getting a tooth-colored filling. The first option is to get a direct composite filling. We can typically do this filling in one appointment. First, we clean the decay from the tooth and then place the composite material in the tooth. We harden the resin with a special light.
The second option is to get an indirect composite filling. This type of filling requires two appointments. First, impressions of the tooth are made and then sent to a dental laboratory where they will make the filling. At your second appointment, we can bond the filling into place.
Get Started on Tooth-Colored Fillings Today
Tooth-Colored fillings repair cavities and make your teeth look their best. You don’t have to live with stained, chipped, or cracked teeth. The fillings look not only great but also feel natural in your mouth.
Schedule an appointment today to consult with Dr. Nicholas P. Primiano or Dr. Diane M. Mach of Naperville Family Dentists. We can help you get your smile back on track.