Family Dentists, we want to arm you with dental health knowledge. We’d rather help you avoid dental issues than have you wait until they need treatment. And we can keep your teeth and gums clean and healthy, which is one of the best ways to avoid problems.
What is Preventative Dentistry?
Preventative dentistry is the field of oral health care focused on preventing dental problems before they happen. By taking proactive steps to care for your teeth, gums, and mouth, you can avoid many common issues that lead to tooth decay, gum disease, and other oral health problems. This preventative care involves home care and visiting your dentist regularly for checkups and cleanings.
During these appointments, Dr. Primiano or Dr. Mach will examine your teeth and gums for any signs of trouble. They will also remove any tartar or plaque buildup.
Preventative dentistry typically involves a four-pronged approach:
Professional care refers to the regular cleanings and checkups you receive at our office. We recommend coming in every six months, though some patients may need to come more often, depending on their individual needs.
You also need to take care of your teeth at home by brushing twice a day, flossing daily, and eating a healthy diet.
Risk Factor Reduction:
Certain things can increase your risk of developing dental problems, such as smoking or tobacco products. We can help you identify these risks and take steps to reduce them.
Your overall lifestyle choices can also impact your dental health. things like stress, poor nutrition, and not getting enough sleep can all lead to problems like tooth grinding (bruxism) and TMJ (a disorder of the jaw joint.)
What are Some Additional Ways to Protect My Teeth?
Although brushing and flossing are essential for dental hygiene, they aren’t the only things you can do to protect your teeth. Here are a few other tips for keeping your smile healthy:
- Drink plenty of water: Water helps wash away sugar and acids that can lead to cavities and tooth decay.
- Chew sugar-free gum: Chewing gum can help increase saliva flow, which can neutralize acids and help protect your teeth.
- Use fluoride: Fluoride is a mineral that helps strengthen tooth enamel and prevent cavities. You can get it in many different products, including toothpaste, mouthwash, and water. After your professional dental cleanings, we generally offer fluoride treatment as an extra preventative measure. We can apply it to your teeth in a painless procedure that takes seconds.
- Dental sealants: Dental sealants are a thin coating of dental resin that we apply to the chewing surfaces of the back teeth. They act as a barrier, protecting the teeth from decay-causing bacteria. If you’re interested in a sealant application, just ask us about it. We can apply them for you after your next teeth cleaning.
- Wear a mouthguard: If you play sports or have a habit of grinding your teeth, a mouthguard can help protect your teeth from injury. You can buy “one size fits all” mouthguards at most sporting goods stores, and they provide better protection than no protection. We also recommend customized mouthguards for superior comfort and protection.
Prevent Dental Problems in Naperville
Preventative dentistry is one of the most important things you can do for your oral health. It helps avoid dental problems before they start and contributes to a holistic lifestyle. Our friendly and knowledgeable staff will guide you in caring for your teeth at home and provide individualized treatment based on diagnoses.
Call us today. We’ll help you keep those cavities away.